Nutrition is vital to our health.
When we lack certain types of nutrients, supplements can help.
Supplement and nutrition can be vital.
Nutrition is defined as a diet pattern that is most suitable for the overall wellness and health of the body.
The terminology of nutrition is highly related to the diet as it affects the energy flow, maintains body parts’ growth, and defines the disease states if it is poor.
Nutrition involves the precise amount of all healthy food items which necessarily preserve the health and body energy balance.
The major component of nutrition is the nutrients that build, maintain, and repair the body tissues and organs and maintain energy flow for life processes.
The lack of proper food and food nutrition causes physical deformities, deaths, and disabilities worldwide, known as malnutrition.
Types of nutrition
There are seven different classes of nutrition which depends upon the body requirements and energy gradient provided by them;
- Carbohydrates (glucose, Fructose, Lactose, starch, glycogen, and maltose)
- Fats or lipids (Fatty acids, oils, and animal adipose tissues, omega-3, omega-6, & omega-12)
- Proteins (amino acids, building blocks of body, enzymes, and catalysts)
- and Vitamins (fat-soluble vitamins, e.g., A, D, E, & K and water-soluble, e.g., Vitamin B complexes and C)
- Minerals (essential for enzyme proper functioning; macro; require in large amount, e.g., Na, K, Mg, Cl, P, & S and micro minerals, e.g., Zn, Mo, Fe, Cu, & I)
- Fibers (present in fruits, grains, and oatmeals)
[source: Essentials of Healthy Eating: A Guide]
Utilization of Nutrition by Human Body
The human body processed the nutrition intake through a primary organ system, known as the digestive system, which allows the extracellular digestion of the food.
The digestive system involves significant organs like the Oral cavity, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, bile, and pancreas.
This organ processes the food by gradual digestion in each part, finally breaking the larger food particles into smaller ones that could be digested through small intestine walls into the bloodstream to reach the cells for assimilation and further hydrolysis to yield ATP NADPH2, and FADH2.
Due to extreme urbanization and industrialization, the immediate need for time is to define the proper diet and nutrition plan to obtain the appropriate amount of nutrients required for adequate growth, development, maintenance, and body functioning.
These diet plans include the proper amount of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, minerals, and vitamins to fulfill the body’s requirements.
Dietary supplements are products manufactured artificially to provide more than one nutrient at a time to balance its amount in the body, required for health maintenance, growth, and functioning of body organs. It may be in the form of a pill, liquid, capsule, tablet, and powder.
These supplementary nutrients include vitamins, fatty acids, minerals, dietary fibers, essential amino acids, and any dietary substance that is not sufficiently provided in their nutrition.
These nutrients are crucial for the body’s physiological functioning, and their deficiency can cause serious health issues, e.g., anemia. The supplements differ from drugs and other antibiotics due to their extraction as dietary nutrients rather than chemicals.
[source: What are dietary supplements?]
Types of Supplements
There are different types of supplements based on dietary nutrients. These contain the following:
- Vitamins: vitamins are vital nutrients for the human body, which require a minimal amount to carry out the body functions. However, their deficiency can cause severe issues like osteoporosis, skin problems. These vitamins are synthesized in the laboratory by obtaining those from particular organisms.
- Minerals: minerals are defined as chemical elements of exogenous nature which are essentially required for proper ph balance and enzyme functioning in the body. These are essential nutrients are extracted from plant and animal bodies and synthesized in the laboratory as supplements.
- Essential Fatty Acids: those fatty acids that are not synthesized in the body and have to take as supplements, e.g., omega-3 and omega-6 extracted from fish oil.
- Probiotics: these are the healthy gut microbiota, which is recommended in case of abdominal issues.
Supplement and nutrition plays a vital role in our lives. Without nutrients, we simply die.
Getting proper nutrients in our body through the food that we eat is crucial to our health.
There are times when we lack nutrients and are not accessible from the food that we eat.
That’s when supplements come in to the picture.
Supplements are what it says they are. Supplements are extras, additions, or complements.
When we lack vitamin D due to lack of sun exposure, a good vitamin D3 with K2 is a great booster.
And as we age, our melatonin decreases. So, supplementing our body with melatonin can get us some good night’s rest.
“I have the metabolism of a sloth and a body that hates putting on muscles. This curse motivated me to study weight loss and nutrition. I want to share my experiences and knowledge to help you achieve your ideal body.”— Christian Tanobey